Conditioning your Body
Many times throughout the year people look to loose weight or aim to get physically fit. These are great goals to aspire to but many people make their goals unachievable and here is why.
We have all heard people say “I want to lose 50 lbs and I want it to happen fast!” A lot of people then go into crash diets where they cut their caloric intake drastically. It is perceived that food = calories and too many calories = fat. So the answer is to eat less? In fact there is a big difference between eating less and eating right. Calories are not your enemy; in fact, your body craves good calories (like complex carbohydrates, fruits, veggies and protein) to stay healthy. Eating right with exercise will promote muscle gain and fat loss but not necessarily weight loss. The key to a healthy life is healthy living. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Take it easy: It is very easy to overstress the muscles when you are just starting to exercise. Take it slow. It doesn’t matter where you start it only matters that you did.
- Tolerance Levels: As we said above TAKE IT EASY! Your tolerance levels have to be gradually increased. This is called conditioning your body. By taking it slow and increasing the amount of weight you lift or the amount of repetitions to an exercise you do gradually you will reduce your risk of injury.
- Drink water: It is amazing how good your body will feel if you drink enough water. Make sure to get in your 8 glasses a day.
- Eat right: Don’t just cut calories. You should take a crash course guide into balanced eating. You might not be cutting that many calories but trading empty calories (from sugar and simple carbs) to fat burning, muscle building calories. Don’t deprive your body of the nutrients it needs to stay healthy.
- Set realistic goals: The saying goes “Changes Don’t Happen Overnight” and it is true. Set goals you can achieve. Take is one step at a time. So you want to lose 50 lbs but first I am going to start drinking more water and getting to the gym 2 times a week. Add to your goals as you go alone until you get your desired results.
We only have one life let’s make the best of it. Become aware of your body, what it needs and how to nourish it and you will become a healthier person. Let’s start living!